Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    J. Sloan
    Participant

Larry Ward was my guy.  I used to watch him at local races in the 80s and you could tell he was a level ahead.  Larry hit the national scene in 88 on his YZ125, but his most successful years were in the 90s.  I love this clip of Jeff “Chicken” Matiasevich hitting Larry.  You can tell that Larry is ready to go, but Jeff pretty much “chickened” out.  Man, the 80s and 90s were the best.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/587124173589839/?s=single_unit

• This topic was modified 1 year ago by J. Sloan.
      Bowser977
      Keymaster

Emig for me! What a time in our sports history!

drajshe
        Participant

Stefan Everts in motocross – Always had tremendous respect to racers that can do everything and Everts was incredibly good no matter the terrain

Big guy Kari Tiainen in enduro – Dude made the KTM EXC 500 of the time looked like a MTB

Álex Crivillé in MotoGp – Big fucking balls all around, specially after he almost lost his right hand in Assen 1997

Tryhard Nani Roma in rally-raid – He failed to finish the Dakar Rally 7 out of 8 times before finally winning in his 9th attempt (2004). Also, that year there was a stage so tough THE TOP GUYS needed no less than NINE HOURS to finish it to the point the organization gave everyone a rest day to everyone.

J. Sloan
          Participant
            On Bowser977 said

Emig for me! What a time in our sports history!

Emig was fast!  I watched him at Washougal a few times and he was flying.  I was def more of an Emig fan than McGrath.

J. Sloan
            Participant
              On drajshe said

Stefan Everts in motocross – Always had tremendous respect to racers that can do everything and Everts was incredibly good no matter the terrain

Big guy Kari Tiainen in enduro – Dude made the KTM EXC 500 of the time looked like a MTB

Álex Crivillé in MotoGp – Big fucking balls all around, specially after he almost lost his right hand in Assen 1997

Tryhard Nani Roma in rally-raid – He failed to finish the Dakar Rally 7 out of 8 times before finally winning in his 9th attempt (2004). Also, that year there was a stage so tough THE TOP GUYS needed no less than NINE HOURS to finish it to the point the organization gave everyone a rest day to everyone.

I got to see Stefan ride and it was cool.  An all-time great for sure, but I put Cairoli above him for the best GP rider ever.

AxlBundy
              Participant

Took me till like 94 to handle MC taking down Stanton and Bradshaw.

I specifically remember having a Jeff Stanton shirt and having an intro to business class with some seniors (I was a freshman) and they would always ask me if that was McGrath on it to get me pissed.

Ironically, I loved the whole Team Peak deal, it was just him taking down Stanton and Bradshaw that was like watching the Iron Sheik beat Hulk Hogan during the Iraq war.

Favorite part of the Whiskey Throttle show are the interviews with people from a time when I was young enough to view them as Heroes and Icons. anyone from about ’96 and on, I started viewing as either my peers, or a bunch of f’in kids lol

Favorites off the top of my head outside of the main guys were Pedro Gonzalez, Doug Henry, Guy Cooper, Kiedrowski, Ezra Lusk, Button. Pretty much quit paying close attention from 98 on, but became a re entry rider in 2019 so I could get my kid out of the city and onto a bike. Finding out what happened to Henry and Button through the WS podcast was quite shocking. Even more shocking was finding out Dungy and Villopotto became All timers while I was away

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by AxlBundy.
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.