Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    drajshe
    Participant

This topic is for you Ping and for anyone that might talk about dirtbikes in public

• Butchering certain sounds in foreign names and surnames is alright
      • Reinterpreting what the name/surname is isn’t acceptable

CASE EXAMPLE = Brazil’s Enzo Lopes

• Ideal = LOH-pes
      • Acceptable = LOW-pes, LOW-pez, LOH-pez…  Ain’t right but close enough
      • WHAT YOU MFers KEEP CALLING THE POOR GUY = Lowps

How are y’all this dumb? Spanish has -ez surnames (equivalent to -son, -sson, -sen, etc surnames in other languages), Portuguese has -es ones.

• Rodríguez vs Rodrigues (remember Joaquim and Helder?)
      • Gonzálvez vs Gonçalves
      • López vs Lopes

You’ve been butchering that kid’s surname all his racing career, poor thing was probably too shy/nice to call you out but now that he’s becoming famous it’s driving me insane. Get your act together. You don’t mess up the French ones much at all, rather odd.

dpingree101
      Keymaster
        1. On drajshe said

This topic is for you Ping and for anyone that might talk about dirtbikes in public

• Ideal = LOH-pes

How are y’all this dumb? Spanish has -ez surnames (equivalent to -son, -sson, -sen, etc surnames in other languages), Portuguese has -es ones.

• Gonzálvez vs Gonçalves
          • López vs Lopes

You’ve been butchering that kid’s surname all his racing career, poor thing was probably too shy/nice to call you out but now that he’s becoming famous it’s driving me insane. Get your act together. You don’t mess up the French ones much at all, rather odd.

If everybody in the industry is butchering it, why doesn’t he correct anybody?  I’ll reach out to him about this, but keep calling people stupid on here and we’ll send you back to the other forum where that is the norm. Cool?

J. Sloan
        Participant
          On drajshe said

• Ideal = LOH-pes

• Gonzálvez vs Gonçalves
          • López vs Lopes

I actually called him Lopez unit I heard others calling him Lowps so I figured that was correct.  I don’t think anyone means any harm by it though.

wethepeople
          Participant

Enzo himself says it’s pronounced the way you say is wrong.

drajshe
            Participant
              On wethepeople said

I worked for a Portuguese company for like 7 months (I’m in the credits of some 2018 videogame), there was a Lopes in the team and he was LOH-pes. Surnames and names aren’t up to interpretation, there’s a right and wrong way. It’s like how even Buddy Antúnez has been saying his own surname wrong for as long as I can check.

Bowser977
              Keymaster
                On drajshe said
                On wethepeople said

I worked for a Portuguese company for like 7 months (I’m in the credits of some 2018 videogame), there was a Lopes in the team and he was LOH-pes. Surnames and names aren’t up to interpretation, there’s a right and wrong way. It’s like how even Buddy Antúnez has been saying his own surname wrong for as long as I can check.

Are we really arguing about this?

wethepeople
                Participant
                  On drajshe said
                  On wethepeople said

I have never worked on a video game in my life and have no experience in Portuguese whatsoever. What I do have is a conversation with Enzo himself asking how to pronounce his last name.

Bowser977
                  Keymaster
                    On wethepeople said
                    On drajshe said
                    On wethepeople said

I have never worked on a video game in my life and have no experience in Portuguese whatsoever. What I do have is a conversation with Enzo himself asking how to pronounce his last name.

Straight to the source! I like it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.